[Devel] lcr group id patch

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Sat Apr 29 08:37:08 CEST 2006

andreas,

after sleeping a night, your lcr patch doesn't anymore sound very good
to me.  the reason is overloading the meaning of group id.

the idea behind group id was that voip operator can group his gateways
geographically, for example, operator could have three gws handling
traffic in germany, two in france, etc., and then specify a certain
priority for each group.

now add to that your group id patch that is supposed to support other
kind of groups, e.g., proxies of peers.  lets assume that operator has
added one such non-gw group and in addition he has several gw groups as
outlined above.

when call is going to a pstn gw, what kind of group id parameter
operator should place to load_gws() call, because there is many of them,
but he needs to exclude the peer group?  my conclusion is that this
doesn't work at all.  you cannot overload the current group id for
anything else than gw groups.

this is the very reason i had to introduce new tables and new functions
to handle peer and other non-gw groups.

-- juha