[Devel] debian $START_ON_BOOT

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Wed Apr 5 16:28:04 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 16:25, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Dan Pascu writes:
>  > Why should it be there? OpenSER doesn't use it. It's a setting which
>  > is only relevant to the debian debconf system.
>
> yes, but the problem is that when you run
>
> dpkg-reconfigure openser
>
> $START_ON_BOOT variable value is not stored in /etc/default/openser and
> consequently when you rerun the script, old value is not remembered.

Is remembered because is stored by debconf:

ser1:~# debconf-show openser
* openser/master_node: true
* openser/memory_ammount: 256
* openser/start_on_boot: false
  openser/memory_warning:
* openser/dump_core: true

Are you using this and have problems or just speculate? Because I'm using
it on a couple of servers and the value is remembered on all of them.

> also openser.postinst tries to access the value:
>
> RET=
> db_get openser/start_on_boot || true

this db_get retrieves the value stored by debconf. it doesn't need it to
be stored in /etc/defaults/openser. maybe db_get doesn't work on your
system for some reason.

--
Dan