[Devel] openser scalability

Bruce Bauman bbauman at wgate.com
Thu Nov 17 14:50:16 CET 2005

We are trying to scale to 50K users and beyond, but are running into lots of
issues with the SIP server. The biggest issue is the database and database
abstraction layer, which seems to want to allocate lots of memory. This
problem is exacerbated by the fact that memory is not allocated dynamically,
but from a fixed pool allocated at startup. In particular, we fail at
startup when reading in a location database with only a few thousand
entries. We also run into problems with the shared memory segment since the
default initial allocation is so small. However, this is adjustable via a
command-line parameter so it's less of an issue.

Has anyone investigated communicating directly with the database and getting
rid of the in-memory representation? It seems like this is the only way to
scale to very large numbers of subscribers, and it solves other problems as
well.

We would be interested in contributing to this effort, but might need some
guidance.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Bruce Bauman
Sr. Principal S/W Engineer