[Devel] [patch] Carrier ENUM support according to draft-haberler-carrier-enum-01.txt

Otmar Lendl lendl at nic.at
Thu Nov 3 17:19:02 CET 2005

On 2005/11/03 15:11, Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com> wrote:
> i read the internet draft and don't have anything against its ideas.
> i didn't read the code in order to figure out, how it acquires the BLR
> information, which was pretty much left an open issue in the draft.  a
> new rr hardly comes into question.

No need to read the code, it's in the documentation:

+1.3.5. bl_algorithm (string)
+
+   This parameter determines which algorithm carrier_enum_query()
+   will use to select the position in the DNS tree where the
+   carrier tree branches off the user ENUM tree.
+
+   If set to "cc", carrier_enum_query() will always inserts the
+   carrier label at the country-code level. Examples:
+   carrier.1.e164.arpa, carrier.3.4.e164.arpa,
+   carrier.2.5.3.e164.arpa
+
+   If set to "txt", carrier_enum_query() will look for a TXT
+   record at
+   [branchlabel].[reverse-country-code].[carrier_suffix] to
+   indicate after how many digits the carrier label should in
+   inserted.
+
+   Example 1-5. Zone file example
+carrier.1.e164.arpa.  IN      TXT     "4"
+9.9.9.8.7.6.5.carrier.4.3.2.1.e164.arpa. IN NAPTR "naptr content for  +
+1 234 5678 999"
+
+   Default value is "cc"

I intentionally made that a config option to accomodate an evolving
standard.

My patch does not change the semantics of the existing enum_query()
functions.

> so i would suggest that this code is incorporated into current enum
> module if the draft becomes ietf working group document AND the BLR
> issue has been decided.  after that the code is not likely to need heavy
> future modification.

I can live with that.

/ol
--