[Devel] OpenSER release

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Tue Jun 14 19:10:24 CEST 2005

Hi SER community,

there are almost two years from the last official SER release and things
do not promise too much right now. Not only that the progress stuck
somewhere on the way (rel 0.9.0 was started more than half a year ago),
but even any attempt to push thing forward seems to be denied - I tried
along with Daniel to push the release, but seems that not everybody
shares our and comunity's interest regarding the public part of SER -
upgrades were rolled back, new software contributions haven't found
their way in (like TLS and other new modules), modules maintained by
other developers are inaccessible.

Unfortunately this is not a good environment if we what to have some
future progress for SER. And this is the main reason for starting a new
project called OpenSER - http://www.openser.org .

It's called open because its most important attribute is its opening to
new ideas and contributions, fast developing and more involvement of the
comunity. Along with quality, the progress is the main concern.
We will continue to support and develop the SER project as much as so
far and as much as possible, but OpenSER will give the liberty for more.

OpenSER serves the interest of all SER users and will not change its
purpose - as a fact I have the pleasure to announce its first release -
OpenSER 0.9.4. The web site offers a comprehensive listing of new
features and fixes - http://www.openser.org/index.php#features. For
people already familiar to SER 0.9.3, going to
http://www.openser.org/diffs-0.9.0.php will be more helpful.

Also the documentation (http://www.openser.org/index.php#docs) will help
for a better understanding of this release. For any additional question
please use the project mailing lists:

    users at openser.org - dedicated for general purpose discussions about
OpenSER stable releases.
    devel at openser.org - dedicated for discussions related to development