[Devel] listen = 0.0.0.0

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Thu Dec 15 13:20:22 CET 2005

Klaus Darilion wrote:

> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
>
>> Hi Klaus,
>>
>> this is right, but it's not equivalent to listening on 0.0.0.0.
>

> What is the difference?

now openser looks at start-up for available interfaces and binds to all
of them (if non explicitly given) - so it will listen on a fix set of
interface - you cannot add or remove.

when listening on 0.0.0.0 will listen only on one socket, but on all
interfaces without knowing which they are..the kernel will transparently
add and remove new interface, if available...so it's a more dynamic
approach.

regards,
bogdan