Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Speaking of DS3s....
From: Tracy R Reed <[email-masked]>
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:07:36 -0800
List-Id: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion <asterisk-users.lists.digium.com>

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 04:30:24PM -0600, Michael Shuler spake thusly:
> the VoIP devices and to the media gateways.  The SER machines don't know
> what to do with a call they only know to hand it over to Asterisk for
> routing/CLASS features or whatever you want the call to do.  You then have a

This is exactly what I am trying to figure out how to set up. I am still a
bit confused by how the SER box can "hand it over" to the Asterisk box. I
am pretty fluent in Asterisk by now and have written various code for
Asterisk so I would like to do my routing and accounting in Asterisk, and
not SER which I understand requires coding in C to SER's API (correct me
if I'm wrong here). Since SER is a proxy it does not handle the rtp
stream, right? But someone recently told me that SER implements comfort
noise and other nice SIP things that asterisk does not and that you really
don't want all of the media stream going through asterisk because it won't
scale. Or maybe the media stream does have to go through asterisk but SER
just balances the load but that doesn't jive with what I was told about
comfort noise etc. We also are using asterisk to talk to TNT's and that
part is working really slick. We have a few DS-3's and I intend to have
asterisk least cost route traffic to the appropriate TNT etc.

> Asterisk as media gateways in our setup we use the Lucent TNTs but it
> accomplishes the same thing but on a much larger scale.  As far as sharing
> the common configs we use http://svn.asteriskdocs.org/res_data/ to read all
> of our configs (sip.conf, extensions.conf, etc.) live from a MySQL database.
> Just apply the patch and go.

Hmm...what's the difference between res_config and res_data? They both
seem to put all of the asterisk configs in a database. Does res_config
just read from the db once and res_data reads in real time?

-- 
Tracy Reed    http://copilotcom.com 
This message is cryptographically signed for your protection.
Info: http://copilotconsulting.com/sig
_______________________________________________
Asterisk-Users mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-users
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit:
   http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-users