[Kamailio-Users] irc devel meeting summary

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 00:54:29 CET 2008

Hello,

sorry for delay... but better later than never, so I am trying to
summarize the outcome of the IRC devel meeting from last Thursday, Nov
06, 2008. The log is available at:
http://www.kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/development:irc-meeting-minutes-06-11-2008

Regarding the 1.3.x series, we set the 2oth of November as the date for
1.3.4 release. There are several fixes and this branch is still used in
many production environments, so it worths investing time in it. There
are some updates in 1.4.x to be ported and some issues to be investigated.

For a new 1.4.x release (the 1.4.3) we look for the beginning of
December as the time frame for setting the date of the release.

The 1.5.x rises in the first phase the question of a shorter time
release, as we have lot of new features already implemented, see:
http://www.kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/features:new-in-1.5.x
http://www.kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/roadmap:1.5.x

Unfortunately some of the new features are not completed yet (e.g.,
htable, carrierroute updates, PV migration) so we will stick to 6-8
months release cycle. The next major one that will use the common layer
(core and tm) from sip-router could be done in a shorter time than
usual. So, beginning to mid of January should be the time to freeze the
code for a release date somewhere in end of January or February.

An important aspect approached during the discussions was the release
management and testing management. Perhaps we need to appoint a person
to manage releasing process in order to have a better synchronization of
the developers. As everyone agrees, testing is very important and we try
to improve it. There is a testing suite included in the source tree
right now, used for static testing.

The idea of a dynamic testing and testing community was introduced and
hopefully we can attract people and build a group of beta testers. There
is a proposal of how to implement and what to take care of, probably
this one has to continue on devel and users mailing lists for a proper
organizational structure.

GIT became as a subject of migrating from SVN, because of its features
for a distributed development environment. However, sourceforge does not
have such offerings, so it is not possible now anyhow. However the
sip-router.org will use it.

Regarding the sip-router.org project, we focused on short term goals,
acknowledging that we have several modules offering same functionality
but relying on different underlaying data structures, this have to
co-exists for a longer time. For the first phase, core + tm the
overlapping is rather small, the two projects insisting in the past to
improve different aspects of them.

Unfortunately I forgot to bring up some punctual topics proposed, mainly
related to tm failure route calling in case of sending error and reply
handling/dropping in onreply_routes. We can continue those subjects on
the mailing lists.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com