[Kamailio-Devel] Kamailio for commerical use

Stefan Sayer stefan.sayer at iptego.com
Fri Feb 6 15:20:17 CET 2009

Hello,

as stated in the documentation, and on top of every source file, SEMS is
licensed under the GPL version 2 or, at your option, any later version
of the GPL. For more information see doc/COPYING (below).

If you are using software which is published under the GPL, you are
licensed to use it subject to the conditions of the GPL. See
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html . Due to the fact that Tekelec now
owns big portions of the copyright for both SEMS and Kamailio code it is
highly unlikely that you will be able to obtain rights to use the
software under a different license. Having said that, the GPL allows you
to do a lot of things - but for example you need to provide your
customers with the full source code.

Regards
Stefan Sayer

from doc/COPYING:
IMPORTANT NOTES

1) The GPL applies to this copy of SIP Express Media Server (SEMS).
    For a license to use the SEMS software under conditions
    other than those described here, or to purchase support for this
    software, please contact iptel.org by e-mail at the following addresses:

     info at iptel.org

    (see http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-faq.html#TOCHeardOtherLicense
     for an explanation how parallel licenses comply with GPL)

2) SEMS software allows programmers to plug-in external modules to the
    core part. Note that GPL mandates all plug-ins developed for the
    SEMS software released under GPL license to be GPL-ed or use a GPL
    compatible free software license.

    (see http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins
     for a detailed explanation)

3) Note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software Foundation,
    but the SEMS software is copyrighted by FhG, iptego GmbH and portions by
    its contributors.

GNU Licence FAQ

This FAQ provides answers to most frequently asked questions. To fully
understand implications of the GNU license, read it.

- you can run SEMS for any purpose
- you can redistribute it as long as you include source code and
   license conditions with the distribution
- you cannot release programs derived from SEMS without releasing
   their source code

                     GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
                        Version 2, June 1991

o Kavita Rai [02/03/09 07:28]:
> Hi,
> We also want to use SEMS in our product. The SEMS home page does not provide any information on the license of SEMS.
> Any idea on the license under which SEMS would be available. Is it under GNU GPL/ other open source license/ commercial license.
>
> If SEMS is available under the GPL license, then would Kamailio be compatible with SEMS to provide announcement services.
>
> Any information on SEMS would help a lot.
>
> Regards,
> Kavita

Stefan Sayer
VoIP Services