[Kamailio-Devel] SF.net SVN: openser:[4808] trunk

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Wed Sep 3 19:56:16 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 03 September 2008, Juha Heinanen wrote:
>  > This needs to be extended for TCP, in order to be really useful, and it
>  > also probably necessary to do some architecture adaptions. Depending how
>  > well the library fits to our needs/ architecture this will stay, or
>  > removed abefore the next release.
>
> what is the intended benefit of use of libevent over the current
> implementation?

Hello Juha,

it provides an abstraction layer around several polling methods, like select
or epoll. At the moment we do all this infrastructure stuff in our core. It
provides generic event handling functions, you can register a callback which
is executed if data arrives on watched descriptors. It also has support for
asynchronous DNS, and several other things.

As i said, i'm not sure at the moment how this work out. I don't think that
our current architecture fit that well to it. The reason i commited the state
i've got so far was to get feedback. I was contacted yesterday from somebody
on IRC who also did some work in this area, and wanted to use it. Its more
like an experiment at the moment, i'll continue to work on the actual core
anyway. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to revert and place this in the
patch section on the tracker for now, what do you think?