[Devel] adding new event packages to presence server

Kobi Eshun kobi at sightspeed.com
Thu Mar 29 20:38:50 CEST 2007

Hi Juha,

I wrote a patch that does this about 6 weeks ago, although it
probably will not compile against 1.2x any more. It turned out to be
quite a big patch (about 1600 lines) although some of it was
cosmetic. The big "problem" with adding support for message-summary
is that the presence module implements two specific event RFCs,
"presence" and "presence.winfo."  Much of the logic in the module
assumes this (or did at the time).

I'm in two minds about bringing the patch up to date. On the one
hand, it does achieve what you want, if somewhat inelegantly. On the
other hand, it seems to me to be the wrong way to do it: a better
solution would be to implement an event notification module that
implements support for SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY, and PUBLISH in a generic
manner; and then to implement event packages on top of that.

For the record, we ended up not using the message summary event
package for our application because it leaves unsolved the problem of
presenting the list of available messages to the client.
--
kobi